Saturday, January 23, 2010

Education should be like this.




When was the last time you had show-and-tell? Elementary school?
Well, I had one today, in my third year of university for a 500 level class.

A friend of mine had a Japanese presentation today and brought in his nyckelharpa- an old, Swedish instrument similar to the hurdy gurdy- to talk about it and play a few tunes for us. I was especially delighted when he played part of the Lord of the Rings soundtrack, Lord of the Rings (all three parts of it) being one of my all-time favourite film series. The sound of the nyckelharpa is quite nice, reminding me very much of Celtic music, and maybe a cross between the violin and the bagpipes.

In the end, everyone went up to sneak a closer look at the instrument and I have to say, I haven't seen university students excited about something like this, and all together too, in a long while.

It was cute.

2 comments:

  1. I love show and tell! Too bad it's so rarely done the older you get D:

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's adorable.

    I can also see Will's head above EVERYONE ELSE'S.

    ReplyDelete