Friday, September 7, 2012

Happy Birthday to my favourite people in the world: my grandparents!

Last Wednesday was my grandma's birthday, August 29th, and the week before that was my grandpa's birthday on the 18th. A birthday month for the family!

Usually my grandma cooks dinner every night, but I had told her in advance that I would cook dinner instead on her birthday. Since my grandma is the world's best cook (I know that's what everyone says about their grandmas, but I assure you, mine is the best) and cooks amazing Chinese food for us every night, I figured I'd go for a Western meal instead. You know, instead of putting her through the torture of eating something that she could make ten times better.

My entire family are incredibly light eaters, so I scrapped my original plan to make a 4 course meal and settled with a soup and main dish combination. I turned all my bookshelves inside out for my Julia Child "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" cookbook, but unfortunately, I had to make do without it. But no matter--cookbooks are almost redundant these days with the invention of the internet (almost is the keyword; I still like using cookbooks). And so, with the efficient help of a friend who happened to be staying over for the week, we made a potato and leek soup, with a scrumptious lasagna as the main dish. The lasagna was made with pasta, yogurt, mozzarella and cheddar cheese, tomatoes and tomato sauce, mushrooms, spinach, onions, a small amount of ground beef, and a tinge of parsley.

It was a success! My grandparents seemed happy, especially with the dozen roses I gave my grandma as an extra. Mission complete (and appetites satiated)!


No comments:

Post a Comment